Qumran Fund Progress

Qumran Support Progress
5076 / 4000 (126.90%)

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Qumran 2012 is official!

At the beginning of our Old Testament Survey class with Dr. Cooper, said that he had still not received word concerning the Qumran trip. After class I asked to be notified once he heard. He picked up his phone and noticed he had numerous emails waiting. He couldn't go through the emails quick enough. Then as he read one email I waited with deep anticipation. It wasn't until he said those golden words, "The dig permit has been granted," that I was able to breathe again!

I immediately spread the exciting news through every technological means at my fingertips!

Then once I got home I put a pot of tea (yes, earl grey tea) on and started assembling support letters. I worked well into the morning and got some 36 letters ready to go out the following day.

I am thrilled at this opportunity! Now Dr. Cooper did mention a pizza place he likes to go. He said that he looks forward to it every trip because he says, "It is the best pizza I have ever had--and I like pizza!" I must say that he now has even my taste buds eager to visit the Holy Land!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Voting on Qumran

To be able to dig in a national park, you have to go through a bit of red tape. An archeological dig of this nature might be like asking to climb on Mount Rushmore to obtain some rock samples.

There is a board that officially votes on whether or not to permit dig permits to various groups in Israel. For a couple reasons this vote has been delayed not once, but twice. The vote, to determine the dig permit for our Qumran trip, is currently scheduled for February 26th.

Our trip is literally in the hands of this board. I am still praying about this trip and I will keep you updated!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Hope rekindled!

The past few weeks have been an emotional roller coaster, to say the least.

It wasn't until just a few days ago that we even knew whether or not we would be allowed to dig--permit in hand. Still, the professor from Liberty University decided to go ahead and research hotel prices and air fare. Dr. Cooper asked to hear what the current prices were. The answer was higher than he had hoped.
It seems that the delays have caused all the cheaper plane tickets to be sold first. The result is that only the more expensive seats are available on the flights we would be taking.

This was the back story to the uncertain response I received from Dr. Cooper just a couple weeks back. With disappointment overshadowing his every word, he said that the entire trip looked to be at least $4,000, but maybe even as high as $5,000. When he mentioned this to me, I couldn't help but laugh. I told him, "$5,000, or $4,000, it doesn't make a difference to me--I don't have either!
My Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills. $5,000 or $4,000, it makes no difference to Him!" If God is willing for me to go on this trip, there is nothing that can stand in the way.

Well, I didn't hear any more discussion about the trip and I watched hope flicker and fade. That is, until I talked to my manager at Logos. She was looking at the summer schedule and was asking about my availability. When she mentioned the trip and I told her that I thought it had been cancelled. She then that showed me a Facebook posting from the college.

It said:
"Want to be a part of the last Criswell dig on the Qumran Plateau?
Contact Dr. Lamar Cooper or Diana Cooper by Feb 17th.
May 15 – June 9 2012 $4000 (possibly more)"

Though it was only a tiny spark, it was enough to ignite hope's flame.

I don't know if it will come together, but God does. It is all in His hands.

Still, a fella can hope can't he?